Jason and I debated long and hard for 2 years before Jack started kindergarten. We wondered where to send him: public or private? So we toured many private Christian schools, some charter schools, and public schools. I knew homeschooling was not a good choice, both for me and for Jack. Jack is such a social and outgoing boy, he thrives on interacting with other kids (and adults). We did not want our beliefs and values to be compromised, but we did not want to keep him in a “bubble,” or overly sheltered either. We wondered if we sent him to public schools, would he be “brainwashed” on subjects such as evolution, etc. Would they teach him things we didn’t agree with, and how would we handle it? In these times, I always recalled my amazing aunt and uncle, Linda and Harold, who were both public high school math teachers in northern MN. What awesome teachers they were! Ultimately, we chose our local public school, and he just completed his first year there as a kindergartener. We couldn’t have made a better choice!
He is a very bright boy, was challenged according to his needs, and had the most amazing teacher I could have ever imagined. He is amazingly well-adjusted despite going through so much in the past year with me being in and out of the hospital, etc. As Christians, we are called to be in the world but not of the world. We are also told, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9. That was an important command for all 3 of us. And Jack has been very bold about his faith and has had opportunities to share his beliefs with others. One day, he wore a button to school that said, “Jesus Christ changed my life.” One kid told him to “throw that away,” but he kept it on all day long. He has prayed for fellow students, and also found that he is not the only one who believes as we do. He has also been able to experience more diversity, which is important as well.
What we’ve learned is that teaching faith and values happens in and is modeled in the home. He can be strong at school because of what we do at home. We teach him that not everyone believes what we do, and he knows this. I keep close tabs on curriculums, etc. He once was given a “reader book” that I didn’t like (I pre-screened it). I attached a note as to why he didn’t read it, and the teacher promptly apologized and stated she did not have a chance to read that one, and she agreed with me and promptly discarded that book.
I certainly understand that all families are different. Some people want to homes-chool, some choose private schools, others even “un-school.” Just because we chose public schools, does not mean it is for every child and every family. But I had to share our experience (thus far), because it has been such a positive one.
1 comment:
Lisa--Thank you so much for sharing this story! It is so good to hear you explain that Jack has had a great experience in school and that you feel like you made the best choice for you.
I struggled so much about putting Brax in daycare at first and you were so supportive explaining that daycare was a really great experience for Jack. It's so helpful to hear from other Christian moms about how they made choices about daycare, school, etc!
Post a Comment